CVK is a purposely built eco-tourism experirence for travellers. Protecting and conserving the local environment, CKV is unique by its location on the lake edge surrounded by forest, monkeys and birdlife unequalled by any other accommodation in the area.
CKV is budget style accommodation beautifully located on the tranquil crater Lake Nyabikere (meaning lake of frogs), facing the Mountains of the Moon (Rwenzori) where snow is visible on a clear day. Our self-contained rooms have hot and cold showers and sitting flush toilets.
CVK offers you geniune local family hospitality, delicious local and international meals, mineral water, sodas, beers, Uganda gin, honey wine, coffee and local tea
CVK is famous for its picturesque views across the lake, resident families of the rare L’Hoest’s monkeys and the presence of 12 species of primates in the nearby Kibale tropical rain forest, eg. chimps, monkeys and baboons. CVKs garden was purposely planted by the owners to provide the fruits and flowers necessary to attract the monkey’s and birdlife which travellers can now watch and experience while relaxing with a cold drink and hot meal.
CVK is located approximately 21 klms from Fort Portal town, 9 klms from the Chimpanzee trekking and 10 klms to the Kanyanchu visitors centre in the Kibale Forest National Park.
GPS coordinates: N 00′ 29.873 / E 30′ 19.864
- 10 terraced tent sites covered by a soft carpet of evergreen grass, overlooks the blue and tranquil lake
- 10 attractive grass-thatched, ecological (eco) bandas. The bandas (cottages) are set out singly and well spaced out among broad-leaved evergreen trees. These bandas provide the wanted coolness and real privacy for rest. NOT self conatined
- 8 self-contained double/single rooms
- 2 bedroom self-contained secluded house (located within the National Park over looking Lake Nyabikere).
Accomodation Prices Effective 1st January 2011:
- Camp Sites (no power): US$10.00 per small tent.p.n. (Flush toilets, showers at campsite).
- Self contained single bed room Ushs35,000 p.r.p.n. incl breakfast
- Self contained twin beds room Ushs60,000 p.r.p.n. incl breakfast
- Self contained double bed room Ushs70,000 p.r.p.n. incl breakfast
- Banda room Ushs25,000 p.r.p.n. without breakfast. (Flush toilets, showers at campsite).
- 2 bedroomed Guest House Ushs150,000 p.n. (4 persons, extra person Ushs25,000) without breakfast.
Food and Beverages
CVK offers delicious, both local and international meals, prepared by a local family. Menu items range from only Ushs5,000- to Ushs15,000-. We also offer locally-grown & fertiliser-free coffee, African tea and cooled drinks (beers, sodas, mineral water), Uganda ‘waragi’ (local gin), and honey wine.
CVK provides the best locally prepared a la carte meals. Try them and you’ll not regret it!
- Chimp trekking in the nearby Kibale National Park USD90- pp plus USD30- pp park entrance fee.
- 3-4 hr walk through the local village, around the 3 beautiful lakes (following the lonely single humble hippo tracks between the lakes) and finally up to the ‘top of the world’ to the majestic 360 degree views. USD15- pp.
- Boat ride on Lake Nyabikere. USD25- pp
- 1 hr nature walk around the properties acreage & village trading centre
- walking through or sitting in the beautiful CVK gardens and watching many variety of monkeys, birds, butterflies, frogs, lizards. Ushs5,000- pp.
- swimming and canoeing in the beautiful, tranquil and peaceful bilharzia-free lake. Ushs5,000- pp.
- Visit numerous nearby crater lakes, homesteads, tea estates, a bi-weekly open-air market at Rwaihamba, Kibale tropical rain forest, and enjoy community traditional dancing, singing and reciting of poems
- View snow on the Equator (can be seen on clear days) on the fabled and beautiful ‘Mountains of the Moon’ better known as the Rwenzori.
- Enjoy romantic and really beautiful sunsets over the great Mountains of the Moon. A most stunning view indeed!!
- Enjoy a camp-fire and story telling at the Camp site.
- Enjoy an evening walk to the Rwenzori Commodities Ltd Tea Estate, overlooking Lake Nyabikere and the misty Kibale evergreen natural forest’
- Note: Swimming, Site viewing and Bird watching is free for CVK residents.
How To Find Us
Travellers can catch a bus, or take a car from Kampala to Fort Portal. From Fort Portal, turn on to the Kamwenge road at the Mpanga bridge (near the markets). Follow the road for approximately 20 mins until the Kasisi junction (where there are many sign posts). Keep left and continue for approximately another 10 mins. You will find CVK just passed a local village trading centre and tea estate and opposite the tea plantation.
CVK is owned and run by a friendly local family; our hospitality is very genuine.
- Winner of the 1998 Uganda National Enterprise Award – First Class
- ARCH OF EUROPE 2002 for QUALITY and TECHNOLOGY – GOLD Category
- 1st Runner-up of the Small-Scale Projects of the Investor of the Year 2003
- African Buisness Award (2004) by Africa Centre for Investment and Analysis (ACIA) Cape Town, RSA.